The really frightening thing about middle age is the knowledge that you'll grow out of it. - DORIS DAY

Saturday, December 23, 2017

A Diamond, Among Others

I have been wanting to write something about this for quite some time.

Well, it's Christmas time and I was given the cause last night by having the time to chat with a diamond, among others, so I pulled the trigger.

There are some wonderful people out there - embrace them.

Several years ago, while on a drive with an uncle of mine, the song People, sung by Barbra Streisand, was playing and just after the line from the song, "People who need people are the luckiest people in the world." had played, he said, "Well, that's a bunch of shit."

This was the first time I had spent any one-on-one time with this man who I admire and respect. Not a recluse, but he was the one who spent very little time with the family. He's not the life of the party, but he is well educated, both institutionally and self-taught, always searching for and soaking up information, discernibly though - no idiot, by any means. He can be very engaging one-on-one.

I had just gotten to know my uncle more in this 20 minute car ride than I had in over 30 years. I learned another side of him during this time - he has a sense of humor and this slight cynicism I missed somewhere during those other years, perhaps because we were always in family settings and I never had had that one-on-one time with my uncle.

After finally getting to know him a little better, I appreciated his "That's a bunch of shit." line, but no one else would if you knew his siblings, particularly, my father and his brother. They, we, are people-persons, sometimes to a fault, if there be such a thing.

We all know, or should by now, that people and our relationships can be rewarding, but also troublesome, disastrous and hurtful. I believe this places many on the fear side of meeting and discovering people - the inability to know what's what and to simply enjoy the wonderful side of someone we meet without wondering about all the other aspects of who they are. The attraction side gets most in trouble.

I was attracted to the person I am about to speak of, but this attraction, over several months, turned into adoration and admiration - a slight relationship I will always cherish and one I hope I never forget. But, this is not a love story (Although I do love and care about her). It's a story of an immediate connection, respect and friendship.

She works at what I consider to be one of the finer Columbia restaurants (located in Forest Acres) based on its food, staff and atmosphere, particularly at the bar.

She gained my attention the first time I saw her. Yes, she is fit and very attractive in a somewhat classic and natural way. At the time I was most attracted to the way she carried herself. It wasn't some facade for her work as a waitress - it was part of who she is.

I wanted to meet and speak with her, but I noticed she was professional in her tasks and the restaurant was busy. I needed to come up with something short and to the point - not some corny line. I wasn't trawling - I simply gravitate to interesting people.

I believe I caught her transiting to the kitchen and I got her attention and said, "You are a dancer (not the pole type), aren't you? The answer was, "I was. How'd you know?" "By the way you carry yourself, your walk, your posture. I recognize it."

That was the connection I made with her, but there is much more to her and it all revealed itself as we would chat occasionally or joke while she was busy doing what she obviously puts a lot of thought into, her customers and her job.

I never came to the restaurant hoping she was there, but it was wonderful having the time to see her when she was there, noticing the passion for what she does (I can watch that all day long - anyone.) and perhaps having a few seconds or minutes to throw a few quips and after a while having her throw a few at me - I love wit.

After some time, I would come in and propose she use some expression or greeting for her customers. Some were crazy and just for fun and others were actually well-thought and she'd use them (probably not) and she would tell (fib, most likely) me about how the customer responded.

If she were busy we would always acknowledge the other and go on with our tasks - her serving and me socializing at the bar.

I always noticed how composed, yet animated she could be when appropriate and justifiable - something I knew would come to her more so as she gained the confidence in what she already did so well.

After a while I noticed her roles and responsibilities had changed at the restaurant and I saw and spoke with her less. It was wonderful knowing she was moving up in an occupation I assumed she loved.

Sorry, I am impressed by people who love what they do or at least throw themselves into whatever they do. I know sales and customer service and the restaurant biz is not easy - you have to love it. Oh, you have to love it to succeed at it.

Last night I went by her restaurant to have a few holiday (my reasoning) drinks. It was well after the dining hours, slowing down and she had or took the time to speak with me for more than a few seconds. I wasn't flattered (okay, perhaps), but thankful. Actually, last night exceeded the total amount of time we have ever spoken with each other.

She told me about all that is going on with her career, what she loves about it and what she is good at - thoughtful and relevant - no braggadocio. She succinctly spoke of the opportunities the company has for her and what she thought they meant for her and the company. She's a sharp lady.

I was once in the restaurant biz, way back, but this woman has the relevant concerns which will probably place her as an owner of one, if not, more restaurants. Of course, I feel she will do well at whatever she chooses - it's in her spirit.

We also had some time to talk about her extended family, her daughter and the man she loves. She is a person of discretion and we are seemingly old-friends of short-time and confidentiality is key. As open as she is to me, she guards what is dear to her. She (we all) should.

She knows this story is not totally about her, but it is about those around us who we should engage.

There are some wonderful people out there - embrace them.

Merry Christmas to All!

P.S. J, I hope you, your daughter, your beau and your family have a Wonderful Christmas. Love you. Best of wishes with anything and everything you do.



No comments:

Post a Comment